No Hat Policy

No Hat Policy

Josh Green, Reporter

For years I have always never understood the “no hat” policy, and whenever I even try to bring up the topic for debate, it feels like I’m talking about Voldemort from the Harry Potter franchise or bringing up a tragic historic event. For even trying to argue the topic, I have been called immature and have been told I am fighting a losing battle. I have been told that wearing hats in school is disrespectful.  I have been told its unprofessional, and I have been told its a safety hazzard. These reasons are often found to be hypocritical, and whenever I try to argue my point, it feels like I am in a fascist regime being silenced and having my voice be trampled on. If wearing a hat in school is disrespectful and dangerous, then why do we have costume days or days where we can pay to wear a hat. I agree that wearing a hat may have been disrespectful, in the 1900’s when it was illegal to not go to church and for women to vote. The school acts like Dr. Doofensmerts when he sees Parry the Platypus without his hat on and thinks its a completely diffrent person. Saying its hard to identify a person just because they have a hat on is ridiculous, I know for a fact our school has 100 different cameras, and at least one would be able to catch a side angle or find some kind of clothing to distinguish that person. Even if this person engages in a fight with a hat, it will most likely be knocked off or the fight will be stopped in a few seconds by teachers. Another argument I hear is no one wears a hat at their profession, but let me list a few examples; police officer, park ranger, military, fast food employees and literally everyone. I have even seen our coaches and teachers wearing hats on campus, the same ones who tell me to take mine off which makes my anger burn even brighter. Kids talk about depression and are being bullied everyday, but at least they are not wearing hats, I guess. If we are the most free nation in the world and can not wear hats to school, while kids in Russia can bring their AK-47, I think we should change that title to “The Most Free Nation, Except for Hats”. In my personal belief, the hat policy kills creativity and during the cold months my head gets cold and I would really love to wear a hat or beanie. Schools already feel enough like a prison, so I am asking for the students, teachers or Board members  to take my words and see the pain of all my brothers and sisters who would like to wear a hat.

Sincerely

An upset student,  Joshua Green.