SAT Test Taking Tips

SAT Test Taking Tips

Lindsay Marshburn, Reporter

Juniors, the SAT is coming up, and you need to be prepared.  Here are a few study tips to get you started:

On March 25, 2020, juniors here at Independence High School will take the SAT. Studying for the SAT is a big undertaking, and you might not know where to start. A good way to get yourself into gear is to learn about the structure of the test and different ways you can adapt your strategy to improve on each section. Here are some tips to help you:

Tip One: Eliminate Three Wrong Answers

The most important rule to remember is that there is only one correct answers for each question, and you should be able to eliminate all others.

Tip Two: Always Understand Your Mistakes

This is vital to see drastic improvements. You always have to make sure you understand why you got a certain question wrong. It helps the studying process.

Tip Three: Pay Attention To Connotation and Context

This tip is critical for answering tough questions in the Reading section.

Tip Four: Use the Find the Evidence Questions to Your Advantage:

These new questions can help you tremendously in identifying mistakes and clearing up ambiguities.

Tip Five: Read Strategically

Try to nail down a good passage reading strategy from the SAT before test day.

Tip Six: Don’t Ignore Passage Introductions

At the beginning of every passage on the SAT, there is a little italicized blurb giving you a bit of context about the passage and its author. This introductory blurb contains valuable information, and if you skip it, you could miss out on easy points.

Tip Seven: Get Interested in The Passages

If you want to retain information as you’re reading passages on the SAT, the best way to do it is to force yourself to engage with the material. Treat this as a learning experience, not a chore, and you’ll find it much easier to remember what happened in the passage.

Tip Eight: Look For Direct Evidence

Though questions on SAT reading may sometimes seem subjective, the reality is that you should always be able to find direct evidence in the passage or chart you are referencing to support your answers.

These are just eight of the many tips you can use to help you preoare for the SAT. By using these tips you are preparing yourself for test day. To get more tips go to blog.prepscholar.com