National Honor Society

National Honor Society

Alyssa Austin, Reporter

Independence High offers a club called National Honors Society. This is a club for the top students who try and make good grades in school. In order to get into National Honor Society, the students must have at least a 3.6 GPA or above. Once they are in the club, if they drop down to a 3.5 they are put on probation. If they keep that 3.5 GPA steady or improve, then they get to stay in the club; however, if their GPA drops at all, they are kicked from the club. They also have to attend so many meetings for National Honors Society, which they have meetings every Thursday in the little theater. If they don’t attend said meetings, this will result in probation. Community service hours are also required, five each semester, failure to provide hours and proof results in probation also. At the induction there is a ceremony held for National Honor Society members, the girls wear all white and the boys wear button ups with a tie and nice jeans or slacks. The ceremony is candlelit and many members give speeches during. The students fill spots such as president, which is currently Jacob Hatcher, vice president, which is Carter Stiltner and Maddy Branham, and finally the secretary, which is currently Madison Harless. This club is taken very seriously and a great honor to be apart of.